Saturday, March 19, 2011

Learning From Running

I have been thinking today about what I have learned so far from Run for God as well as learning to run in general. 
First of all, I am as out of shape as I thought I was if not more.
Second, this is has been as hard as I thought it would be in some ways and easier than I thought in others.
Third, Satan really cares about this family running (or not), especially on Tuesdays when we meet with our Run for God group.
When Rick told our family he was going to run the Disney Half Marathon in Jan of 2012 I didn't think much about it until I realized he was very serious.  I knew I had been trying for a very long time to get our family active together and if this was what he was going to do then we as a family would have to join in to support him. I wasn't too sure about a Half Marathon, so I committed the kids and I to the Family Fun Run 5k @ Disney.  Immediately he began to tell people about his commitment so that people would hold him accountable. Someone told him about Run for God, we looked into it and he got really excited, I just got intrigued and a little nervous.  I realized we were really going to do this. uuuggghhh
It has been an amazing time for our family.  Even in Jan as we began walking and hiking just trying to build up stamina (without needing oxygen) until Run for God started in March.  We have learned a lot about each other. There is always one of us who wants to quit and at least 2 of us encouraging each other on.  This time together, for me, is one of the biggest bonuses of running.
I have aches and pains, but none of the ones I thought I would have.  My knees are terrible, part genetics, part tearing some  ligaments in one knee in H.S. (running, of course), and partly from falling down some stairs and spraining the other knee.  I can predict the weather with my knees.  Yet, the soreness in my knees has been very minimal.  A God thing I would say. I also have asthma, but as long as I pre-treat I have had ZERO issue with that too.  Another God thing.  The hardest part hasn't been physical, but mental.
The thought of finishing a 5k has gone from being something I felt there was no way on God's green earth I could do; to actually believing  that I can do it.  Each work out is a little easier.  Don't get me wrong I still argue with myself every Tues, Thurs, and Saturday but when I DO follow through I feel so amazing.  My body aches, but mentally I know I finished something I never thought I could do. Spiritually though, I know that without my Jesus this would not be possible for me. My relationship with Him becomes deeper each run.  From complaining to Him about the running, to praying for my fellow runners, to praying for needs for family and friends, to just praising and worshiping Him, to claiming promises from His Word.  It is quickly becoming a special time with my Savior. One of the other big bonuses of running.
Rick talks every week about  God getting all the glory when we cross that finish line and that I'm sure is why Satan cares if we run or not.  So I run not because I can, but because I want my Jesus to be glorified through me. I'm amazed that God cares about things like running and getting fit, but I know He does care. He cares about everything that matters to us, and He cares because He will receive the glory.  Satan won't win, He will. THAT is the biggest bonus of all!
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment