Friday, October 21, 2011

How Can She Possibly Be 13????


Rick and I had been married 6 months when we found out we were pregnant.  We were not overly surprised but extremely excited. Excitement turned to fear pretty quickly.  Having already had one miscarriage the Dr. was very thorough and found my HCG levels were low and I could be having another miscarriage. The first miscarriage rocked my world in a huge way, but that is a long story for another day (if I ever get to the point I want to share). Needless to say we were scared.  The Dr. put me on progesterone...it dissolves under your tongue and is disgusting! I took it for 12 weeks and it worked those HCG levels came up but I was one sick girl for my entire pregnancy!!   At  my 37 week check up we found out I tested positive on the Strep test .  It was nothing I had done or not done but it could be serious for the baby so I would need antibiotics for the final 2 weeks. At 37 1/2 weeks though, at around 9pm on a Tuesday,  I started having contractions and we called our Dr.  He was already at the hospital and asked us to come down and let him check and see how things were.  More scary news...my placenta was breaking up and we would need to induce, but that could be a bit of an issue since I hadn't been on the antibiotic long enough.
He admitted me, upped my antibiotics and started pitocin.  I won't give you the long dramatic (gross to some) story.  The short version is, by midnight we had started the process and I had decided I didn't want to have a baby anymore HA I was scared out of my mind.  I didn't sleep all night and by mid morning Wednesday the real pain started.  We called for the epidural which I received, sadly it only worked for about an hour and then it was gone. Natural childbirth was NEVER in my birth plan but that sure is what I got. I had one of the other Dr.s in the practice since my baby decided to come after my Dr went home to sleep. HE WAS HORRIBLE!! (He also got fired shortly after, but again that is a whole other story).  I was in labor for 23 hours and FINALLY we got to meet Megan Christine Landess, 5 lbs 7 oz and 19 inches long, the most perfect little baby.  She came out peeing on the Dr. and when we told her all this she said it was because he was so horrible to her mom.  Right ON!!!!

We were immediately so in love with this little person!!  The worries were not over yet though.  She also came out just kinda coughing not really crying and she was quite blue. Right before she delivered they had called SO many people into our room it was crazy.  We got to hold her for a few minutes and then they whisked her out of there. They kept her for the remainder of the night.  The next morning when they brought her in they said she would be ok, but her lungs were a little under developed. We learned from this experience and many more nothing would come the easy way with Megan. ;)
My little girl would have several health issues over the next couple of years (nothing incredibly major) and a couple of near death experiences.  So you can understand why we tell her all the time God has an amazing plan for her life.  She should have never been conceived, or survived the first trimester (we would learn that many years later) in the first place. If you know her you know she is an AMAZING person.  She is shy at first but once she knows you she is fun and hilarious.  She is incredibly tenderhearted especially towards someone who is being picked on.  She is protective of her family.  She loves Jesus and desires to do better for Him.  She is incredibly smart and inquisitive. She has no problem helping others at school, but she has no patience for people taking advantage of her and she stands up for what is right.  She won't let people talk bad about others or treat her with disrespect.
She isn't perfect we have our struggles.  She is very much like me when I was her age.  The difference is she will say the things I only thought.  We go head to head A LOT.   On the other hand though, we also talk a lot about what is going on in her life.  I am not naive, I know for everything she tells me there is so much more she doesn't.  I will take what she gives me though.  I want her to know I am her biggest fan and loudest cheerleader and her prayer warrior. I have made a lot of big mistakes with Megan, all of which I wish I could take back.  I haven't always been a good Mommy to her, but she is always forgiving and we push on together.
God did an amazing thing when He created Megan.  He did an amazing thing when He allowed Rick and I to be her parents.  She is one of our miracle babies and we don't take that lightly.
She is turning 13 today and my heart tightens at the thought.  We only have 5 or so years with her.  How is it possible that that little baby that was peeing on the Dr. is now a teenager???? I have always said it is exciting to see who she will grow up to be, but now I just wish I could stop the clock or even turn it back. Since I can't do either I pray that I will take the good and the bad that these years have to give and cherish every moment of it.  I don't want to be one of those parents that says they hate having teenagers, I don't have any doubt it can be hard at times but so was every other stage of her life. This is just a new stage and I want to hang on as tight as I can while I'm learning that I have to begin to let go and let her become her own person. Happy Birthday precious Megan!!!  I love you so much and I'm excited to see all that you become!

No comments:

Post a Comment